INDIVIUAL COLLABORATIVE PROJECT EVALUATION Richard Acheampong
This essay aims to express how I and my collaborative partners managed to develop a final project to reveal to the client from the brief given. I will also explain the methods of research that we undertook in order to achieve this and how minor adjustments and development aided our outcome as a whole.
The collaborative project involved us producing a practical solution to the problem posed within the brief. This project was based upon the National Justice system and involved a visit to the National Justice Museum where the initial ideas and research began. We were instructed to create a piece of work that could be beneficial in an educational aspect to young children regarding the National Justice System and present it the client for feedback and critique. This would then give us valid points to build upon to create a final piece more suitable to the needs of the client.
I personally entered my group called ‘Just 4’ later in the process (2weeks in), which meant I missed the trip to the National Justice museum where the ideas and planning originally commenced. Once being caught up, I realised that the initial idea my teammates created involved a creation of cartoons that would depict the some of the crimes involved in Criminal and Civil laws that would be presented to the class. The group involved Jake, Jack, Alfie and I. Prior to my involvement, the development of ideas consisted of researching crimes from letters A-Z and depicting this through our illustrations. This meant that 2 initial cartoon characters, created by Alfie, were used as a staple to show our crimes. One character was portrayed as the evil deliberate criminal and the other was a child who was a troublesome prankster but not as malicious. With initial sketches done by the team, once I was put into this, there was a slight change in the method of how we execute the project. It was now decided to split the alphabet A-Z between the four of us, and we would then be in charge of our own drawings relating to the crimes we selected. Due to the nature of the project and our angle, some crimes were more light hearted and humorous than others, whereas some involved serious criminal offences and activity.
The crimes I was in charge of were the following six; jousting, queen impersonation, GBH (grievous bodily harm), trespassing, vandalism and obstruction of justice. My initial sketch when I first started collaborating with the group was GBH. This made me realise that the style of drawing between the three of us was very different. This is where having two initial characters was crucial, as we had to keep the consistency of drawing style as much as possible and use the characters in that same style to do the crimes in. This was somewhat challenging for me as I like to draw and illustrate in very intricate detail consisting of shading and tonal play, but the images we set ourselves as a group were more abstract and simplistic which I feel in the end was the right choice to create ease for the consumer and client.
The first bit of research was obviously searching for crimes starting off with the letters A-Z. The use of the National Justice web page and generally research on the net helped us come up with all 26 letters that we eventually produced in our presentation. As mentioned earlier some of the crimes were more humorous and perhaps less recognisable then others, but this helped maintain the tone of our project as we aimed to educate younger children whilst still being able to have fun when doing so.
Our first presentation to the client involved some positive feedback and constructive criticism. The acted as a catalyst for development of the project and created the next wave of ideas and research. We were told as a group that some drawings needed tweaking to create a more clearer understanding for the consumer and that some of the crimes involved may not be suitable for the target audience in this case i.e. ‘prostitution’. We went away and took on board what was said and acted accordingly making the necessary adjustments for the next time the client is viewing our work.
Jack Merton, a member of the team, placed the images he, Alfie, Jake and I created into a digital format. This offered a cleaner and clearer finish to it and the background colour which were plain and bold helped our cartoons stand out far greater as they were black and white images. This provided our project with ease of understanding to those who wanted to educate themselves on the National Justice system.
The final piece of completing our project was after we printed out all 26 letters in the digital format. In order to make the final piece game like/educational in this sense, we discussed putting the crimes that were being committed in writing on the back of the illustration. This would allow a child to guess what crime it could potentially be as the Letter initial is at the top, then if needed can turn over the page and view the crime. It also involved a fact regarding the crime which you can take from as learnt knowledge via the project.
As mentioned in the introduction, the main aim was to create an outcome that was a solution to the problem posed. The problem being to create something younger generations can use a learning tool regarding the criminal and civil laws within the National Justice System. I feel as though this has been achieved and that each individual in our group had a part to play in doing so. If I could change anything regarding my personal input, it would have been to have visited the museum with what would have been my group at the time, therefore I could be part of the initial though process and engage ideas I may have initially had to help the project progress.